Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Risky Business

I'm certainly no thrill seeker. The thought of plummeting toward earth in a skydiving adventure really freaks me out (I've seen to many movies where chutes didn't open!). I don't really like to travel that fast or jump off things. Waterskiing is about as adventurous as I get - and last time I did that I strained my rotator cuff. But God seems to be speaking to me about risk. Our current sermon series The Great Escape...breaking free from the things that keep us in chains! is a study through the Exodus where Moses comes back to Egypt (after being chased out of town 40 years ago) to convince a king to just let all his slaves go! No armies. No secret weapons. Just the call of God on his life. Pretty risky, I'd say. I just finished reading The Big Idea from Dave Ferguson. Part of the premise is that we've got to take risks in our churches. The mission is too critical to just maintain the status quo. Besides, in eternity, what else should we risk more than connecting others to God? Then I read Perry Noble's blog this morning and he talked about the importance of taking risks as a pastor to advance God's kingdom. God is definitely working on me in that area. I'm not really sure where all He's taking me, but it's going to be a great ride. I just hope He doesn't lead me out of a perfectly good airplane!

No comments: